This week was amazing, difficult,
exciting, and boring all together! Surprise and welcome to the CCM where
everything is a contradiction yet we all seem to love it and hate it
anyway!
I was lucky enough this last Sunday
to be part of a historical moment in both the History of Mexico and the history
of the Church. Elder Oaks came down here to beautiful Mexico City to officially
dedicate the CCM. The entire campus was buzzing for 2 weeks straight in
preparation for his arrival. All of the building exteriors were repainted. The
lines on the pavement were redone. Almost every inch of the place was cleaned
from top to bottom. And, by some miracle, the average food improved to quite
good food for about a week. The whole 90 acre campus was transformed from an
old oasis to a shiny new center of education. I swear even the look of some of
the missionaries seemed to improve. It was fascinating to watch how giddy
everyone was about the arrival of just one person.
In reality, we had 5 people come in
honor of the dedication but most of them were from the area 70. Nevertheless,
it was a pretty exciting event and for the most part, everything went off without
a hitch. The devotional by Elder Oaks was truly awesome, plus it was nice to
have a devotional in English for once instead of Spanish. He spoke to us about
the importance of missionary work and how we are part of a truly blessed
generation that is hastening the work of God. It was really a very good
devotional, however, the best part of the whole week happened about an hour
before the devotional was supposed to start.
Both my companion and one of the
other girls in our district had to go over to the devotional early to practice
for the choir. So we went on splits and Hermana Te'o and I became temporary
companions. We were just wandering around the campus talking to some of the
Elders in our zone while we waited for the devotional to start. It was sunny and
delightful so we didn't think much of where we were walking. After a few
minutes of walking, Te'o and I decided to pop into one of the classroom
buildings to use the bathroom because we knew the bathrooms in the auditorium
building were probably full of all the missionaries waiting to get in and find
good seats for the devotional. So once we were done using the bathroom, we
opened the door to go back outside and there was a giant mass of old people
blocking the way on the sidewalk. As we stepped out, one of the old women
turned to us and exclaimed "Oh Hermanas! How beautiful you look!"
She came over and gave each of us
hugs and kisses on the cheeks. She then turned to one of the ladies behind her
and asked the woman if she would take a picture with us. Te'o and I just smiled
and went along with it because we had no idea who it was. But then another old
lady came up behind us and asked if she could take a picture with us too. We
said yes so she put her arms around us to pose. The woman taking the picture
said, "Smile sister's, you too Sister Oaks!"
The camera flashed and five seconds
later Elder Oaks walked out of the building we had just been in. He came and
said hi to us and asked if we wanted a picture with him but Sister Oaks said,
"Oh no, this is a Ladies' picture moment."
It was hilarious and all the old
people laughed and then Sister Oaks said goodbye to us and they continued on
with the tour they were taking of the campus. It was such a cool, quick
unusual, yet perfect moment. Te'o was walking on clouds afterwards because she
has never met an apostle before. It was pretty cute how ecstatic she was, but
then again, that is probably how I was the first time I met an apostle too, I
just don't remember. We found out later too that the first woman who got a
picture with us was the wife of one of the area 70 representative, although I
don't remember their names.
The contradictions started the next
day though. During class on Monday morning, the power for the whole campus went
out about 15 times, and then on Tuesday morning, the water in several of the
casas-including mine- somehow stopped working. It seems contrary to expectation
for so many things to go wrongs the day after something as important as the CCM
is dedicated, but maybe God was trying to teach a lesson that even with
blessings, not everything can be perfect. I am not sure what it all meant, but
it certainly was a week to remember.
With only about a week and a half
left here, I am feeling more than ever that I am ready to get out of here and
get to Ecuador. Then again, I also still feel like I know next to no Spanish
and that leaving the comforts of the CCM is going to be more of a shock than I
expect. Like I said, this is a time full of contradictions. But I am excited
and scared, ready and not even close to ready, and more than ever I am dreading
the 13 hour long plane ride I will have to endure.
Here's to hoping the slope will be a
steady downhill from here on out, at least until a new type of bump comes
along.
Much love to all and I'll update you
again in a week!
Love,
Hermana Eyre
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
No comments:
Post a Comment