Friday, January 24, 2014

Bienvenidos a el CCM



Hola everybody! I have safely arrived at the CCM (aka. the Mexico City MTC). I have successfully survived my first week of missionary boot camp and am currently up to my ears in Spanish language study and gospel doctrine study. 

Life here, south of the border, is not what I expected, but in many ways it is better. The food is better than expected...for instance, today we had some insanely good enchiladas, the weather is warm ans sunny and I occasionally get to study outside, and the people here are all incredibly happy to be here. I have yet to decide if I am weird for not being as ecstatic as they are, or if I just have better self control because I am at least two and a half years older than everyone else.
My companion is a cute sister from Kansas City who understands almost all of my pop-culture references and is perfectly willing to bust out into song with me while walking down the streets of the CCM. The CCM, by the way, is a huge campus with lots of room to move around and lots of air to breathe. I think being here is much better for me than being in the Provo MTC could ever be. It is like a little bubble protected oasis of well dressed excited teenagers from the United States smack dab in the middle of Mexico City; (Okay maybe not actually in the middle), but it is interesting to hear all of the sounds of Mexico happening outside the protected security gate perimeter of this mini-Provo-like place. 

Anyway, my companion's name is Hermana Miller and she is very sweet. Our room companions are Hermana Te'o from Hawaii (her brother is kind of a big deal in case you are a football fan), and Hermana Welch fro Mesa Arizona. We all get along quite well although i wish one of them was more willing to run or go to the gym with me. However, they prefer to spend their time laying in the sun and watching the guys in our district play Ultimate Frisbee of Beach volleyball. I am grateful that we get along though and as for the other Hermanas in my Zone, they are much more willing to jump in on the games of Frisbee and Volleyball and do ab workouts and such during our daily gym time.

Spanish is an interesting language. It is very similar to French in a lot of ways (although I still think I like French a whole lot better) so I feel like I am learning at a decent pace, although not at quite the rapid pace I had hoped for and expected. I have been making flashcards like crazy though and am looking forward to a few weeks from now when I look back and think about how silly I was for thinking it is impossible.

The funny part though, which I didn't at all expect, is that they don't really teach you the language. They re-teach you the gospel and expect the language to come with it. It is weird because in some ways it really does work, but, let's just say I now understand why so many missionaries have terrible grammar when it comes to the language they learn for their missions. 

I am in District C in zone 10 and I think I definitely got placed in the best zone here. All of the people in my zone are incredibly lively, fun, and funny. We are known as the rule breakers because everything our zone does that isn't technically against the rules gets outlawed every time a new district comes in and an old one leaves. Our zone is notorious for: causing nosebleeds and other injuries when playing sports, tie-trades, extra tienda time (the tienda is the small store on the MTC campus), for yelling CASTIDAD! to each other in the hallways (castidad is the spanish word for chastity), and for always taking all the Nutella out of the comedor after meal times. Needles to say, I got put in a zone with a bunch of hooligans just like me, except that they are even worse than me because they are all between 18 and 20 years old.

It is such a weird feeling to be learning from people younger than me, but in a lot of ways I am learning that young people have a lot to teach. Most of the people here have never even been away from home though which is crazy to think about having lived away from home for four years myself. There are some girls in my casa who didn't know how to work the washing machine and dryer. I was baffled! How can someone be graduated from high school and not know how to do their own laundry!? It was crazy! But some of them are incredibly smart and have some awesome views on life and the world and I am excited to get to know them better.

In other news, I got to speak in my branch in Sacrament meeting on Sunday. My talk had to be completely in Spanish though so it was terrifying. The Elders and Hermanas in my father district helped me figure out the best ways to find what I want to say though so I was grateful for that, but still, it was incredibly intimidating.

All the Hermanas in my father district have told me that the first week is the hardest though, so hopefully next week will just be a huge improvement. I guess I will let you know then!
I love you all immensely and hope that nothing too exciting has happened while I have been away. I was informed that the Seahawks made it to the SuperBowl though so I am pumped about that-although I am admittedly pissed that I won't be able to watch the game- but I guess of all the sacrifices I have had to make, watching my favorite NFL team is one of the least of my worries.
Anyway, GO HAWKS!!!
Love you all!

Adios,
Love Hermana Eyre







No comments:

Post a Comment