Monday, April 28, 2014

Look! I'm in France!..... Oh Wait.

It took more than five weeks for me to actually do it, but I finally took some decent pictures of Vinces. In general, I don't take my camera with me much because everyone says that it is dangerous- however, people's idea of dangerous here is in reality nothing compared to what I am used to from Seattle. Anyway, this past P-Day, I finally conviced my companion to come with me to the main part of town by the river to take pictures in what is known as "Paris Chiquito." All along the river bank here, there are wierd old buildings and structures that look similar to well known structures elsewhere in the world. The Golden Gate Bridge, The Eifel Tower, and others that I can't exactly name or place in my mind because I seem to be fogetting everything that I learned before coming here including the correct usage of the English language. (I guess four years of diligent study wasn't worth that much afterall if I am just going to forget it all here). This city is beautiful and weird in its own special way, but I am glad to be here, and as of this last week, I finally have photographic evidence of this little heaven by the river.

I am excited this morning because last night after church, we had a lesson with one of my favorite investigators. His name is Charles and I love visiting him because he is probably the nicest person I have ever met. He has a quiet manner of talking usually, but when he gets excited, it is like his voice can't be contained. Maybe I feel that this makes him a kindred spirit because I am always so loud. We have been working with Charles for several weeks and he always has a lot of questions that are somewhat difficult to answer. However, his questions come from a place of genuine interest and I feel that he really has the desire to understand our message because he can feel that there is something missing in his life and we seem to have the answer; we just can't explain it very well.
Last night though, one of my favorite members, Benito, came with us to visit Charles. Benito used to be the same religion that Charles is right now; a branch of Evangelists. Benito has only been a member for four months, but he knows way more about the gospel than I do. He is amazing! He is going to be a great missionary when he leaves in about 9 months. With Benito, our lesson was powerful and to the point. Charles asked all the right questions about priesthood power and the manner that we do baptisms, and Benito had all the right answers. All we had to do was extend the invitation. Charles accepted with a smile on his face.

There are still a lot of things that he wants to learn and understand better before he is actually baptized, but I have a feeling that his baptism is going to be the one I remember the most. I can feel his desire to truly understand and I can actually see how happy our visits make him feel. His progress may be slow, but it's the fact that I can see the change that makes me feel like it is real, it is good, and it is really good!

In other news, Litzy and Nayely, the two young sisters we have been working with since practically my first week here were baptized on Saturday. I feel good about Litzy because she really has a desire to make changes in her life for the better. Their homelife is, let's just say, less than comfortable and desireable most of the time, but Litzy really wants to make changes for the better, and Nayely is learning to want the same. I think they can see how the gospel has helped their lives so far and they have the desire to learn more. I think with the Young Womens program and the many wonderful kids in the Primary here, their lives will improve rapidly with the church.

Okay, I'm out of time once again! Love you all!

Hermana Eyre





No comments:

Post a Comment