Monday, April 7, 2014

You are NOT Alone

Listening to General Conference is not the same in another language. There are things that can be said in English in the most beautifully perfect ways, and when they are translated, it really just isn't the same. Spanish is much more simple than English, especially with things concerning the gospel. I couldn't understand all of what was said during General Conference because it was all in Spanish, but what I could understand was simple and straightforward in a way that I liked and at the same time wished I could have heard in English.

The theme from conference for me was that "we are not alone." God is always with us and we need only to call on him through prayer to ask for his help. This is something that is hard for me right now in the mission because most days I feel all alone here. I love Ecuador more and more everyday because it is beautiful and the people are amazing, but nevertheless, with the language barriers and body feeling helplessly sick everyday, soometimes it takes a whole lot of effort to remember that I am here on God's errand and he will not abandon me.

We had eight of our investigators attend sessions of General Conference this weekend. I was most excited when I saw Jimmy Mecias sitting in the chapel during the first session Sunday morning. We had asked for a member, Hermano Exon, to bring Jimmy to the session because we were going to be with another investigator. We weren't sure if Jimmy was going to make it or not, but there he was! It was so exciting!

Jimmy is my favorite investigator right now because he sincerely is looking for truth in his life. He reads every passage we assign him in the Book of Mormon and he always has questions. People like him make me feel like I am really making a difference here. He doesn't have a baptismal date right now because he has problems with his left arm. He was in an accident about 8 months ago and is missing a bone in his arm right now and he is waiting to see if the doctors are going to chop off his lower arm, or attempt to put a false bone into his arm and try to make it work again. We are hopeful that the doctors will make a decision this week and then we can set up a baptismal date for the following week, but for now, we are just waiting to find out. Jimmy wants to get baptized though and thus I feel like working with him is really worth it.

We have many investigators that have baptismal dates that I think in reality are not ready for baptism, but my trainer wants to try and have a baptism every week this month. Anyway, I guess we'll wait and see what happens.

For now I am still in Vinces, trying to get through the first 12 weeks of training and figure out this whole language business. Everyday is a bit bettter and I am trying really hard to love Spanish the same way that I love English and French, but hopefully the love will come in time.

For now, I am going to just keep swimming, just keep swimming, work hard and try to help people realize the importance of Christ in their lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment