People here always say, "I can't go to church on Sunday
because I am going to `El Campo.`" In general this just means they are
going to visit family that lives anywhere within 20 minutes of the city
here. But today for P-day, I got to go to "El Campo" and I guess I now
understand why people want to go there. It is basically the countryside
here, but here, the countryside is mostly banana trees and corn. It is
basically an endless sea of these things. We went with the less active
member Alexandra that we have been visiting. She was officially
re-activated this Sunday
after having an interview with the Branch President and she recieved a
new calling. She and her husband Anthony have been talking to us about
going into the field near here for two weeks now so it was fun to
finally go. We came back with more fruit than we really need for one
week, but hey, it was all free and it is all good, so we are grateful.
The mosquitos and other bugs are about ten times worse outside of
the city though so I am glad we were only there for about 3 hours.
This
week was long and very busy. Time still moves at a snails pace here, but
I still have hope that things will start to feel like they are passing
more rapidly each week that I get used to things. It would probably help
if my body could adjust to this place, but it seems that my body is
almost as stubborn as I am and therefore it is putting up a pretty good
fight. I feel sick most of the day everyday, and the bug bites don't
help, but I am trying to be positive and focus on our investigators
instead of on the pain I have in my stomach and the many bugbites that
still cover almost every inch of my skin.
With General Conference coming up, we are hoping to have a lot of
people attend the sessions with us, and hopefully that will mean that
people can follow through with their baptisms afterwards. Our biggest
problem right now with baptisms is that we can't baptize people until
they have attended church at least twice, and like I said, people have
many excuses not to attend here. But Conference will hopefully help
beause each session counts as one church attendance.
I hope you all enjoy the pictures of "El Campo!" Until next time!
No comments:
Post a Comment